Rides Around the Area

I post here all the time about working on my bikes, but I do more than work on them. I ride them. I put several thousand miles on my bikes every year; I’d do more if the weather was more cooperative. My insurance company actually told me that many people only insure their bikes for six months out of the year… I do all twelve. You never know when an unseasonably warm day will come along in the winter.

But one thing I hadn’t done in over 35 years is ride with another rider. That is, until last week when my friend Joe mentioned on social media that he had his Honda Shadow 1100 cleaned up and ready to ride… so I invited him. Joe’s not from Missouri, and consequently he’s not nearly as familiar with the paved back roads as I am. He asked me to lay out a ride that would show him some of those roads, so I did.

It was a beautiful Friday afternoon, mostly clear and about 80° F.  I decided to ride my CB650, putting us both on Hondas (though Joe had a significant advantage in CCs).  I left home from La Belle heading east on Missouri Highway 6, and met Joe at the Highland High School parking lot near Ewing.  From there we followed Highway 156 to the junction with southbound Lewis Co. Route D, which is where we left the roads Joe was familiar with.  Route D is a ridge road, which is probably my favorite kind.  As you can see, we didn’t quite get to Philadelphia before turning right onto Marion Co. Route J, which took us into Shelby County; despite how it looks in the image above, J has some really nice curvy bits.  At Bethel we’d been riding about an hour, and I asked Joe if he wanted to take a break or continue.

He voted continue, so we dropped down Highway 15 through town to the turnoff to Shelby Co. Route M; the eastern end of that road is both curvy and beautiful.  We turned north at Epworth on BB and followed it up to Plevna, ran a little bit of 15 north to the 156 junction, then proceeded east.  Now Highway 156 has many interesting parts, curvy pretty parts, but they aren’t close together.  The section from where we turned east to about Newark is one of those really nice bits, including some S curves and a left curve into a kinda steep drop to a right across a small bottom to a bridge, and I felt sure Joe would find it as entertaining as I did.  Before we got to Newark we turned north on Knox Co. Route E, another curvy pretty section of road running up the back side of the Newark Sever Lake.  It straightens out a bit before the junction with Knox Co. T and U; U goes east to D, just about 4 miles south of my house.  So we went that way.

Overall my track length was about 89 miles, averaging 52 MPH while moving; I use Geo Tracker on my phone to make tracks like the one above, and the app also gives me statistics.  For example, we covered an altitude difference of right at 200 feet… not that it matters at all, just fun that I can find that out.  Joe’s track length was shorter at my house, obviously, but he had to cover the same distance going home that I did meeting him in the first place.

We decided to do the same thing the following Thursday, as wet weather was forecast for the next Friday.  I chose my Yamaha XS650 for this ride, and since I never fill it up before parking it (the fuel cap seal isn’t quite as good as it should be) I had to make a run out to the FS station to fill it up… that’s the little extra at the start of the track above.

This time I promised to show Joe the ridge roads in Knox County, Missouri, where I grew up and where I learned to ride.  My plan was to run up Bee Ridge aka Knox County Route T, pass through Edina to Rabbit Ridge aka Route P, go west and take Route J south through Hurdland (my home town).  From there we’d go a short way down Highway 6 to Route A, then south to Route F, then east to where Route F joins Highway 15 almost but not quite lined up with Route TT.  Now TT is a ridge road, though I don’t know the name of the ridgeline it follows.  Everything went according to plan until we reached TT… the road was closed.

SO ANYWAY, we had to find another route.  I copped out this time, as we turned south and took 15 to the same 156 junction we’d turned off at the last time, and proceeded in much the same way.  At the end of U just south of my house, Joe turned right to go to his home another way.

My track length this time was 90 miles, but that includes three miles back from the FS station where I gassed up my bike, so 87 miles.  Pretty close to the same ride length for me, though Joe rode probably 30 more miles or so.  Average speed moving was 51 MPH.

Joe and I ride differently.  His bike is bigger and more powerful than either of mine, and if he’s riding point on the straights I have to work to keep up with his acceleration.  But his bike is more work to get around the corners, so he slows down a bit for the curves.  If I’m riding point, I have to remind myself not to ride the way I usually do… I may not ride all that fast, but I don’t slow down for corners if I don’t have to.  Sometimes I forget and hit them like usual, and when the road straightens I see Joe’s bike in my mirrors roaring up to catch me.  (If I can see anything in them… the mirrors on the XS650 are almost useless above 35 MPH.)

And, as I said, the last time another rider joined me on a ride was over 35 years ago, and that friend passed decades back.  I had to learn how to ride point and wing both all over again.  On both rides I sent Joe riding point any time I knew a road ended in a stop sign, where we could switch back; it gave me needed practice riding wingman, and also let Joe experience the unfamiliar roads more directly.

BUT I wasn’t done yet:

That Thursday was just a gorgeous day, and as we had ridden in the afternoon I had the evening free.  The day had been cloudy, which was a mercy as it otherwise would have been kind of hot; the clouds cleared up some in the evening, but the temperature dropped a bit so it was still really nice out.  I was helping my wife with some work in the yard, but she could see I was itching to ride before the forecasted rain came and she told me to go, already.

So I did.  My phone was almost run down, but I had softside saddlebags on the Honda, so I plugged the phone into my “emergency” battery, strapped them together and put them in the saddlebags.  I run an app called Enduro Tracker to allow my wife to track my position; I hope I never need her to come find me when I’m unable to operate my phone, but if she ever needs to, she can.  So I wasn’t taking the phone for calls or texts, just for the tracker.  And I made a track too, just for fun.

North out of La Belle on Route K to Route Y, known as Deer Ridge Road from that junction to the tiny town of Midway (which doesn’t even appear on the track above, but it’s at the junction due north of Lewistown).  It’s easily my favorite road that I can ride regularly.  At Midway I stayed on Route Y, which involves a left turn (don’t ask me, I didn’t lay these roads out).  From Midway to the Highway 16 junction I believe it’s called Irish Ridge, and while that section isn’t as twisty as the Deer Ridge end, it’s still really nice and pretty.

Normally I’d just turn and go home at that point, taking Highway 16 to Highway 6 at Lewistown, then on home to La Belle, but it was just such a nice evening.  I wasn’t ready for it to end yet.  So I turned left instead, then right onto Route BB.  BB turns somewhat seamlessly into Route C southbound into Ewing (again, I didn’t design these crazy roads) and at Ewing I took Highway 156 out of town.  I said above that 156 has interesting and less interesting sections, and the part near Ewing is one of the better bits.  Normally I’d have gone all the way to the northbound junction for Route D, and then gone directly home, but this time instead I turned onto Route J and went north to Lewistown, and then home on Highway 6, making a stop for gas at the FS station east of town.

The stats page says I did an average of 52 MPH moving, and went 50 miles.  Altogether the ride took me an hour or just a hair more; I forgot to stop Geo Tracker when I got home, so I don’t have an accurate ride time.  An hour at a time is usually my limit when riding by myself… I really like to take a break every so often, get off and walk around and clear my head.

But of course, as I was by myself for that last ride, I didn’t have to worry about running away from anyone (or, just as significantly, keeping up with someone).  It’s fun to ride with other bikers, but it’s also fun to go at your own speed.

Shocking Issues with my XS650

My XS650 bottoms out on modestly rough bits of road when my wife rides with me, so I knew I needed to adjust the preload.  I set out to do it according to the method in the manual:


But that’s not how mine looked.  Here’s a picture of the preload adjustment on the left side shock, shot from the front:


My best guess is that a previous owner turned the preload to maximum, then somehow turned it another notch.  Both sides were this way, with the adjustment hole fouling against the bike.  So I pulled the shocks one at a time, which required the removal of a surprising number of fasteners, rotated the decorative bit 180 degrees and reinstalled them. The adjusters are now useful.

While I already had it apart that far I pulled the tank and rerouted the clutch cable AGAIN. This time it almost feels good… almost.  Zip tied it judiciously in the hopes it will stay put.

So then I took a short ride to verify nothing was going to fall off.  It was the first ride I’ve taken on that bike at night in some time. Turns out the instrument lights are dead… gah.  A job for another day.

I just now noticed that I never showed the results of my logo project here, so here goes.  My original right-side tank logo is missing the lower left corner, and has been since I got the bike. I planned to buy OEM replacements, until I saw a T-shirt with a rather cool alternative logo. I did my own version of that logo, somewhat different than the one on the shirt, and have been working out how to get it 3D printed. Here’s how it looks:


It’s 2.8mm thick, possibly a bit thinner than would be ideal, but I think I’m going to go with it and see how it holds up. No, there are no holes; I drilled them the old-fashioned way. 3D printed items sometimes shrink a bit, so measuring and drilling seems smarter. I sanded the tops (faces) of the letters and the “swoosh,” then painted them with gold paint, probably ordinary craft-type acrylic paint this time around since it’s known to stick to PLA pretty well. A topcoat of polyurethane clearcoat and it’s good.  I used an ink roller (brayer), squirting paint onto a sheet of paper, rolling it out thin over and over until it started to dry; I did this a couple of times to get it thick enough to apply properly, and then I rolled it on.

Here’s how it looks finished and installed:


The holes were a bit too far apart, causing a buckle in the center; I redrilled, making the holes near the Y oval, and surprisingly it doesn’t show. Really needed to do a better measuring job.  But I think they look great.

New Handlebars on the CB650 — Wow

I changed the bars on my CB650 to a set of CB750K replicas; they are lower, straighter, and a bit wider than the stock bars. I knew I liked them on the Yamaha XS650, but the “wheelbarrow” handlebars that came on that bike were so bad that anything would be an improvement. What I did not expect is what a difference they’d make on the Honda. It feels like a different bike… the small change to the riding position not only makes it feel more surefooted, but amazingly made the seat more comfortable.

I took it out for a ride Saturday on some ridge roads near my home, stopping along the way to photograph my old school motorcycle in front of an old school.

Vintage Turn Signal Installation Completed

In my last post I described how I installed a vintage set of one-wire-and-ground turn signals on the front end of my 1980 CB650.  To recap, I discovered that the marker light power output on one side goes off when that side’s turn signal is on, and I tried (using a Y connection) to make the single filament blinker do both jobs.  The downside is that the marker light power bleeds through the turn signal circuit, turning the rear signals on (like marker lights) as well as keeping the turn signal idiot light illuminated.  The latter problem is annoying, but the former is actually not legal (in Missouri at least).

So I decided to use diodes to ensure that power flows only in the “right” direction.  Looking through Amazon’s listing, I found these:


They say they are for solar cells; the main thing is, they are rated for 15 amps, ensuring they have plenty of capacity for my purposes.  Better yet, the 20 pack cost me less than $7.00 US.

A smart man, one who knew he needed diodes in the first place, would have incorporated them into the Y adapter.  I’m not that smart, obviously.  So I decided to just put bullet connectors at the ends and put it between the Y connector and the blinker output connector, inside the headlight.  I used these:


I’ve had them for quite a while, as I got them to help with the rewiring of this bike back when I bought it.  Here’s what I started with:

The spec sheet for these diodes says the color band is on the cathode (negative, or in this case ground) side.  They should go toward the turn signal, and since it has a male connector the diode’s cathode gets a female.  After a trim:

I crimped them on:

I knew before I started that crimping wouldn’t work very well, since the conductors are solid, but I didn’t have solder-type connectors and did not feel like ordering any. So I just hit them with solder:

It was tricky holding the part while doing the soldering, until I thought of this:

After doing the soldering I dug up a bag of assorted heat shrink tubing. I started with the small stuff, doing this:

I added a layer of the larger size (mostly to cover the female side), then used a bit of some pretty large stuff to wrap the whole part:

The assorted heat shrink came from Harbor Freight:


As you can see, it didn’t cost me much, and I still have most of it left. The larger stuff came from Amazon:


Higher, but I got it for a different project and used about 2 inches of it, so the cost is negligible.

Now let me admit that I screwed up two of these diodes before I figured out how to make these properly. Practice makes perfect. If I hadn’t screwed up any of them, the cost each would shake out to about $0.86 US… less than a dollar each.  Not bad at all.

Oh, and they work.  Have not ridden yet, but just testing in the garage, everything worked on the first try.  Very nice.

Puttering Around…

I got in my first real ride of the year on the CB650 on Saturday (March 28th).  Made a loop in the early afternoon, north on Lewis county route K, then right on route Y aka the Deer Ridge Road.  I’ve said before, I love the ridge roads, and when I’m wanting a quick ride Deer Ridge is usually my choice.  It’s a bit chewed right now, needing some attention from the highway department, but thanks largely I think to the ongoing pandemic, it was pretty much empty.  Deer Ridge (the ridge itself, not the road or the town) ends more or less at the town of Midway; there, route Y hangs a left and becomes Irish Ridge.  Not a lot of people around here use the name; it may never have been popular, but I know of at least one landmark on that ridge that still bears the name: the St. Patrick Irish Ridge Cemetery.  It’s twisty, not as twisty as the Deer Ridge section, but enough to be fun.  It runs out on a hilltop where it connects to Missouri Highway 16, and from there I take a right back to Highway 6 at Lewistown and thence to La Belle.  If I want a shorter loop, at Midway I just keep going straight onto route H, which in turn drops me at Lewistown.

Saturday I took the longer loop.  The weather was partly cloudy and humid, and just warm enough that I thought I could go without my jacket; a mistake, as the sky clouded over and the temperature dropped almost 10 degrees.  Still a good ride.  My wife told me on my return that we needed to go pick up some groceries she had delivered to our daughter, so we did that, loading the car in a rainstorm.  We drove out of it on the way home, and when I got there it was really, really nice, sunny with a few scattered clouds, and the temperature was back up over 72° F (about 22° C), and so I rolled the CB650 back out for another ride.

South this time, route D to route U west.  I planned to pick up another ridge road, Bee Ridge, which is Knox County route T.  It’s twisty and nice, a lot like Deer Ridge but not as many ups and downs.  However, just as I came up to the intersection, a pickup truck turned west in front of me.  Naturally I didn’t want to follow him, and while I had about a mile or so where I might have been able to pass, instead I turned left and ran route E to Missouri 156, enjoying the better (curvier) parts of both, and then ran route TT from southeast to northwest.

TT is a ridge road, but if it has a name I’ve never heard it.  But it’s beautiful, less curvy and more hilly than the others but still quite nice.  It runs out at Missouri 15 a few miles south of Edina, which is where I paused to take a break.  I’d been on the road about an hour, and I always try to text my wife when I’m out riding every hour so she doesn’t worry about me.  And my butt, out of shape from a winter spent on the couch or in my car, was needing a break.

When I was done with that I headed west out of town, then took a right at the bottom of the hill onto the northwestern end of Bee Ridge Road (route T, as mentioned above).  It’s as good in one direction as the other, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Then back down U and up D to home.

It’s really nice to have the CB650 back in service after doing without it last year.  The head gasket repair seems solid, and the repairman changed the plugs while he was at it.  I had Reo’s Rides in Kirksville, MO do the work for me, and I couldn’t be happier.

Still, there are always things to do with a vintage bike.  One annoyance on the CB650 was the kickstand; the tang you’re supposed to push with your foot to lower and raise the kickstand.  You see, the original broke off a couple of years ago, just before I benched the bike because of the head gasket leak.  So I got this:

The kickstand is a bit larger in diameter than I thought, and so I had to use, um, “excessive force” to install it, and yeah, it failed me, but I’m pretty sure it’s not because of the “excessive force” bit.  Here’s what it looked like after basically one ride (the first one from Saturday, as described above):

A picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words.  That bend came from pressing down on the tip of the extension with the edge of my rubber-soled sneaker.  What a disappointment.

So I dug around my shop and found a piece of 3/16″ thick, 1″ wide steel bar, got out my grinders (one with a cutting wheel, the other with a grinding wheel), and with the added assistance of my bench vice I made this:

I didn’t take a picture of it folded up, but it tucks nicely up under the exhaust with just a bit sticking out for my shoe to catch.  And it’s a lot thicker and stiffer than the Krator part.  Honestly, I cannot recommend that item to anyone… it’s just not strong enough.

The other thing I did in the last few days is to upgrade my turn signals.  If you’ve read my earlier posts, you know that the bike came with an ugly, beat-up Vetter Quicksilver fairing on it, and one of the very first things I did was pull it off.  This left me without headlights and signals, and so I bought some aftermarket parts.  But the first set of aftermarket blinkers are small and did not fit the style of the bike, so eventually I bought a second set, which are still too small but at least looked kind of like they belonged.  Here’s a pic from a couple of years ago showing them:

Last year at a garage sale in an actual automotive garage (former gas station/repair shop, long closed, but still cool) I found a pair of Honda signals.  They are from an early ’70’s CB350, or so I was told, and I’m pretty sure they came from the back of the bike; they are one-wire-and-ground, which supports that theory.  But they are smaller than the rear signals on the CB650 and fit the style fairly well, so this weekend they went on:

Nice, eh?  While I had the headlight off and was figuring out the usual installation issues, I noticed that the bike turns off the marker light function when it turns on the blinkers.  I realized correctly that I could hook both functions up to the blinkers and they would work fine, even though there’s only one filament.  What I failed to understand is that the marker light voltage would go the “wrong” way back toward the blinker circuits, making the rear signals into marker lights and keeping the turn signal idiot lights on solid when the blinkers are not engaged.

I had a similar problem with a DIY model rocket launch system a few years ago; arming one of the four launch positions would light up all the arming indicator lights, due to voltage going the “wrong” way through the circuit.  The solution was obvious… I needed a diode in each arming switch circuit, ensuring that the voltage only went the way I wanted it to go.  That answer will work here as well… a diode in each line between a turn signal output connector and the matching front turn signal will allow the blinking voltage to go where it’s supposed to, while blocking the marker light voltage from going the wrong way down that wire.

So now I have to find appropriate diodes.  It wasn’t too hard on the launch controller, so I’m hoping it won’t be too hard on the bike.  But if this works, it will be darned nice.

Rubber Donut Info — Bridgestone Battlax BT45

I don’t think I’ve made any notes about the tires I run on my CB650, and I need to so I do not forget.

The front tire of the CB650 is a 100/90-19 tube-type, while the best choice I’ve found for the rear is a 130/80-17.  About the only cost-effective tire available in tube-type for both of these sizes is the Bridgestone Battlax BT45, which I discovered back in 2016 when I was refurbing this bike.  However, there is one problem I’ve found… many sites which sell this tire can’t be relied upon to properly identify the tube-type vs. the tubeless model.  So here’s the info.

The tube-type BT45’s I run on the CB650 are these:

Front: Battlax BT45 100/90H-19, part no. 001029
Rear: Battlax BT45 “J-Spec” 130/80H-17, part no. 001046

It’s often difficult to figure out whether the 130/80-17 is tube-type or tubeless, but the part number doesn’t seem to lie.  The tubeless version is part no. 066184.  I messed up an order, so now I have one of those on the CB650 with a tube in it, and it’s fine but it was a bear to get it on.  The bead just would not seat, and I had to take it to a local mechanic who had a more potent air compressor to get it seated.  Next time around, it’s back to the tube-type.

There are very few good choices for the rear tire on the CB650, and in my opinion the Battlax BT45 is the best of them (and about the least expensive as well).

CB650 to the Bike Doctor

So my CB650 sat, I’m sad to say, all of this year.  It had an oil leak from the cylinder head that was a slow seep when I got it, and a mechanic told me how much it would cost to fix it and suggested I just live with it. So I put about 8,000 miles on the bike, filling up the oil whenever it went down, and I was happy.

Until it started spraying oil on my pants leg. Gah. This is why it sat out the riding season… I knew what the fix was going to cost, and I had to save up my pennies to pay for it. I can do a lot of mechanical stuff, but I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I had no business taking the top end apart myself.

Week before last I loaded her up and hauled her to Reo’s Rides in Kirksville, MO. I’m told Reo is good, and he’s just a bit less expensive than Cycle Tech up at Fremont, IA where I got the carbs rebuilt. And he’s a lot closer to home, making it less of a production to take the bike there and then retrieve it.

Here’s hoping everything goes well!

Throttle Cable Repair, and Air Cleaner Discovery

So last week I put a couple hundred miles on the XS, riding it to work (I consult, so somewhere different every day) and then taking the twisty roads home afterward. It’s my therapy, okay? But on August 15th on a twisty road on my way TO work, my throttle cable broke.


Did not know exactly where the lever was that it pulls, so I just had to kind of coast to a stop at the bottom of a hill and then push it to the top. Fortunately, even though I was in the middle of nowhere, I was just that one hillclimb away from the parking lot of the Colony story (in Colony, MO, naturally). I know the people who own it, and one of them was outside working when I arrived. He gave me the go-ahead to leave it there in the lot. My wonderful wife came and rescued me (taking about an hour off of work, and my thanks to her boss as well) and then met me there tonight with the truck and ramps so we could load it up and bring it home.

In the interim I called two local Yamaha dealerships, but of course neither had the required part in stock. One told me I’d have to wait 4-5 business days and pay $40.00 for the part. I’d have paid that to have it right away, but if I have to wait, ebay it is. $16.95 with free shipping from a 98.6% positive vendor is worth waiting.

Well, the wait wasn’t as long as I feared; the cable arrived in the mail this morning.  Installation was easy; hardest part, as always, was getting the gas tank hoses off and back on properly.  When I removed the throttle cable, the upper end was kinked. Someone had jammed the little metal barrel into its place SIDEWAYS and let the cable wrap around the throttle tube incorrectly. I’ve NO idea how it’s been working so well all along, but the kinked bit was going to break off if the other end hadn’t gone first.  Just another discovery of something half-assed by a previous owner.

While I had the side panel off for easier access, it occurred to me that I have been forgetting the thing I ALWAYS forget, namely the air filter… oops.  So I took out the one screw and removed the cover, and found this:

Obviously they couldn’t find the right foam to replace the original, so they found something that would work. I know I’ve complained about the previous owners of this bike before (like, right up there at the top of this post), but I can’t find a single thing to complain about here… it’s neatly done, with the excess bundled up in a place where it doesn’t seem to matter. And the filter looks to be in pretty good shape too, so it must have been done not long before I bought the bike.  Incidentally, both filters are done the same way, and equally neatly. I just photographed the one I had to bring into my office because the seal needed glue.

I’m wondering about just one thing here… is this the kind of foam that should be oiled? It’s not an OEM replacement, after all, and it looks like the foam from my TW200 (which is oiled).  But without confirmation, I just put it back in.

One Year Later

It’s now most of one year later, and I’ve not been idle even though I haven’t been posting either.  Here’s what’s happened with my XS650 since last time:

I ordered a couple of items to fix up the squishy front brake:

Brake line: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Z8GZSC/
Banjo bolt with bleeder: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DSH5N9F/

On September 19 of last year I got the new brake line installed; it’s a single line, and thus bypasses the connector on the steering head.  Here’s how it looks installed:

Works a lot better now. It’s not as positive as my Honda CB650, but the CB650 has the 14mm master cylinder. But it’s not squishy anymore, and I didn’t even have to bleed the upper fitting to get it solid.

Also hollowed out the ends of the bars for bar end weights, but the throttle tube sticks out far enough that I’m going to need a longer screw and a spacer to put a bar end weight there. Though I was going to have to go to Fastenal, but I managed to work out a spacer arrangement by digging around in my junk bins.

On October 1st I rode the XS to work; went somewhere over a hundred miles total. Don’t know for sure, because the speedo went nuts, bouncing like crazy, then broke off the needle. The trip odometer also started malfunctioning; the 100’s place would advance randomly, so that the last leg of my trip appears to have covered 560+ miles (couldn’t be much over 60, in reality).

The next time I rode it, a few days later, the speedo started getting… dark.  I realized that something inside was rubbing on something else and making smoke, which was discoloring the inside of the lens.  Gah.  Stopped at my wife’s workplace and dropped off the speedo cable in her van so I wouldn’t have to turn around and go home.

In early April of this year, I installed a new speedo, tach, and idiot light cover provided by forum member bwthor (thanks, man!).  Here’s the only “before” picture I have, of the original speedo when I got the bike home:

And here’s where I started out with the new speedo on April 8th:


The original picture above does not show how much sun damage the tach had. I’m about 100% certain the instruments on the bike when I got it weren’t all original, leading me to wonder just exactly how many miles the bike actually has on it. Things look much better now. Thanks again, bwthor!

Here’s the whole bike from the morning of April 8th:

… and then, another problem. I was about 20 miles out on my 160 mile ride on April 8th when I noticed the headlamp indicator was illuminated. I thought I might have loosened a wire while installing those replacement instruments, but I also suspected it might be the sealed beam.  But I couldn’t figure it out, even with the able assistance of many on the XS forum.  It wasn’t until I decided to remove the Reserve Lighting Unit that I figured out the issue.  See, if you remove the RLU, you have to jumper over a connector to keep the headlamp on.  If you are removing the RLU, you can make one more connection and convert the “headlamp” indicator into a “charging” indicator.  Instructions are here:


My thanks to forum member 5twins for pointing that out.

So when I dug into the bike to remove the RLU, I was surprised to find that extra connection for the charging indicator had been made, but with resistors so that either a bad headlamp or a charging problem could light the indicator.  Evidently one of the prior owners of the bike wanted it all.  Gah, again.

Here’s the crazy bit of wiring done by that prior owner:

The red wire which is wrapped in so much tape is tagged on to the green wire of the RLU, which (I checked) connects to the green wire in the harness. That wire runs directly to the headlamp indicator, as I understand it. But look close:

The resistor was connected in series with the indicator lamp, and the red jumper wire as well. The jumper went here:

So anyway… I went ahead and cut the plug off of my RLU, given that it had been adulterated already, and made a quick headlight jumper out of it; so far, so good, headlight works fine. The original jumper wire put together by some previous owner turned out to have a second resistor in it, near the plug, and I cut it off; I went ahead with the charging indicator mod using that wire since the ends seem to have been put on pretty well.  Rather than dig out my soldering iron, I just crimped bullet connectors to the wires on the RLU plug, made a bullet-connector jumper to connect them, and put a bullet on the previous guy’s lead wire so I could use it. The mod is now as 5twins described, and now I had a charging indicator.

And it indicated I wasn’t charging.

As I say, my best guess about the previous mod is that the light would come on either if the headlamp failed OR if the bike stopped charging. How you would then decide the nature of the problem, I don’t know. But I now knew my headlamp was fine.

Advice on the forum confirmed what I suspected, namely that I needed to replace the brushes.  I was surprised and pleased at how easy this was to do, and the bike is running fine as of now.

BUT that’s not all.  On practically my very next ride, the left-hand mirror started swinging freely around.  Back when I first got the bike, I noted: “Took off the mirrors, and put the left one back on… because the left mirror was attached to the right side of the handlebar on a clamp, and the right mirror was crossthreaded into the mount on the left side. You all know that Yamaha bikes have left-handed right mirrors, but apparently the previous owner didn’t. Gah. The collar nut is missing from the right-hand mirror, so I couldn’t remount it, but after running a bolt through the left-hand mount from the bottom to straighten the threads, that mirror went on fine.”  Later I got new mirrors; in fact, I bought new mirrors twice, as the ones I got in July of 18 were kind of crappy, actually.  Vibration from the XS made them entirely useless, and they would not stay adjusted.  But I had retained the original clutch perch, as the damaged threads didn’t seem to be a problem at first.  Now they were.  Over the next several rides, the mirror would repeated jump a thread and get loose, requiring gentle, judicious retightening.  Something had to change.

I went on ebay and found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/45-4012-YAMAHA-CONTROL-CLUTCH-PERCH-45-4012-LEFT-SIDE-BRACKET-341-82911-00-00/361317819355. So I ordered one, and when it came I pulled the bad one and laid them side-by-side.  Sorry I didn’t take a pic, but trust me, the replica is almost exactly the same.  The metal is just the least bit thinner where the lever mounts to the perch, but that’s it, and it’s not thin enough to worry me.

Managed to save the left grip, too, so I didn’t have to replace it; I call that a win.

Here’s the cockpit of my XS650 now:

Emgo bars, the cheapest (and yet, in my opinion, nicest) grips on ebay, plus bar end weights, mirrors, master cylinder, and clutch perch all from ebay.  Gauges and indicator cover are used, with thanks to bwthor, and a used clutch lever stolen from my TW200.  I’d already put shorties on that bike, and when I got the master cylinder with a shiny metal lever, I felt like I needed a shiny metal lever on the clutch as well.  The only thing original there are the switches, and the plastic tiedowns for the wiring that I managed to save when I took off the stock bars.

I Like Curves

I like curves. I like big, sweeping curves, and I like little tight S curves. I like hills too. I like the ups and the downs almost as much as I like swooping left and right through the curves. And I really like it when you put the curves on the hills. I even like those scary curves that they put on top of hills, where you can’t see around the corner when you enter them. I guess what I’m saying is, I really enjoy G forces. And sure, I like smooth, well-tended pavement as much as anyone, but I also like the half forgotten, slightly chewed roads. Sometimes a little rough stuff can be fun, you know?

And I’m a lucky man. The area where I live is full of roads like that. My earliest road riding experiences were on Knox County Route P, called Rabbit Ridge by the locals, and Knox County Route T, known as Bee Ridge. You can’t beat the ridge roads for combining hills and curves. I don’t get to ride Rabbit Ridge much anymore, as I just don’t find myself that far over very often, but I frequently have occasion to work in Edina, giving me the opportunity to ride Bee Ridge in one direction or the other, or if I am really lucky, both ways. There’s at least one other very nice ridge road in Knox County, Route TT. If it has a name, I don’t know it, but it’s a very cool road, curvy and hilly and generally well-tended.

I live in Lewis County, Missouri now, and I have discovered a number of nice roads here. My house is just five miles away from the west end of Lewis County Route Y, called Deer Ridge Road. It’s easy enough to verify the name, as the road passes through the town of Deer Ridge and by the entrance to Deer Ridge State Park. Evidence suggests that the east end of Route Y, past the tiny town of Midway, is actually Irish Ridge. I don’t know that definitively, but I like how it sounds so I’m going with it.

It’s not been a great year for riding motorcycles in this area, though. For much of the early part of the warm weather this year, there has been a significant risk of rain every day. This week was the first opportunity I really had, and wouldn’t you know it, all three of my motorcycles were laid up. My vintage 1980 Yamaha XS650 has a charging issue. It probably just needs brushes, so I ordered a set. My 1980 Honda CB650, on the other hand, has an entirely unacceptable oil leak and won’t be on the road until I can do something about that, or pay someone to do something about that. But my trusty 2008 Yamaha TW200 just needed a battery, and I picked one up yesterday.

So of course, yesterday I had to take a ride. It was a hot evening, but not too hot. As soon as I got the bike running, I ran up north and picked up the end of Deer Ridge Road and followed it all the way through Irish Ridge almost to Route 16. But I didn’t want to ride Route 16 back towards home, as it just wasn’t as interesting, so did a U turn and went back. (Around here we say we did a “U-ee” but I’m not sure how to write that properly.) At Midway I branched off on Route H and ran the five miles to Lewistown, and then home. The whole ride was almost exactly 40 miles, so it cost me under $2 at the current price of gas. Well worth it… the ride was glorious, and I couldn’t have needed it more. Riding is therapy for me, the very best kind.

Tonight I got home and discovered my brushes had come for the XS. I considered fixing it, but the lure of the road was too much. Since I was on my own for supper anyway, I took the main roads over to Canton, Missouri and had supper there. I filled up with gas and headed out on Missouri 81, a lovely twisty road, especially at the end nearest Canton. But I branched off on Lewis County Route E, which I call the Derrahs Road since it passes through the tiny town of Derrahs. It’s a half-forgotten, slightly chewed road, and the eastern half is twisty and hilly with corners on top of hills and tightly coupled S curves. Like I said, a little rough stuff is fun sometimes. You do have to watch out for the Amish vehicle emissions… they’re slippery when fresh. Fortunately in this area, the Amish vehicles are almost all one horsepower models, so if you just stay in the wheel tracks you miss most of the emissions.

Swooping through the hills and curves, I felt alive. Riding has always felt that way to me… exciting, not in the sense of getting all worked up, but just feeling real and present. Experiencing the world directly, feeling the wind, seeing all around without roof or pillars or even a floor to block the view. I’ve said it before, but the only word that seems to fit is glorious. And it was.

I ran E out to Williamstown, then turned on Lewis County Route A towards Monticello. The first leg in that direction, sadly, is very straight and very flat and pretty boring. But the end nearest Monticello does have few nice curves and hills, and unlike last night, this was one of those evenings where every time you drop down into a draw between hills you pass through cool air which has settled there.

I stopped at the convenience store at Monticello half an hour before closing time for a restroom break and a quick snack. Since I could hardly eat on my motorcycle, I sat down at one of their tables, careful not to make any messes since it had already been cleaned. The only other person in the store was the young lady cleaning, and as I was finishing up she walked past me with a broom and said, “I can put you to work.”

I said, “I’m on a motorcycle. I’ve never been able to eat very well while wearing a full-face helmet while going down the road at fifty-five miles an hour.”

She laughed, and then replied, “I’ve never been on a motorcycle. My mom always said they were dangerous.” We chatted about that for a little bit, and then I said goodbye and rolled back out onto the highway.

It’s just a couple of miles from Monticello to the western end of Route Y, that is, Irish Ridge. So of course I had to go that way. I considered turning at Midway as I had the night before and going down to Lewistown, but the evening was just too beautiful and the riding just too good. I stayed on Y, running out the full length of Deer Ridge, and when I reached Route K and turned my front wheel towards home at last, the only complaint I could think of was it was just too short.